Joan E. Ricart is Doctor of Philosophy (Managerial Economics), Northwestern University.
Ph.D. in Inustrial Engineering, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya; and Ph.D. in Economics and Business Administration, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
Joan E. Ricart is professor of economics and strategic management and head of IESE’s Strategic Management Department. He is also associate director of faculty fot the departments of strategic management, production, technology and operations, and entrepreneurship. In addition, Prof. Ricart holds IESE’s Carl Schroeder Chair of Strategic Management. A further honor was bestowed upon him recently when he was appointed president of the Strategic Management Society, an international organization comprised of academics, business practitioners and consultants dedicated to expanding knowledge and exchanging ideas on the strategic management process. He is also founding president of the European Academy of Management (EURAM) and vice-president of the Iberoamerican Academy of Management.
Prof. Ricart holds a Ph.D. in managerial economics from the Kellogg Graduate School of Management, a Ph.D. in industrial engineering from the Universitat Politécnica de Catalunya and a Ph.D. in business administration and economics from the Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona. His areas of interest are strategic management, corporate governance, organizational design, the economics of organizations and off-shoring.
As a visiting professor, Prof. Ricart has taught and conducted research in diverse settings including at IPADE (Mexico), INALDE (Colombia), IAE (Argentina), Universidad de Piura (Peru), IDE (Ecuador) and UNISA (South Africa). During the academic year 1992-93 he was research fellow at Harvard Business School. He has also supervised a number of doctoral theses and research projects.
Prof. Ricart has published numerous books, with publishing houses such as Edward Elgar, J. Wiley and Sons, McGraw-Hill, NCC-Blackwell and Estudios y Ediciones IESE. He has also authored a number of articles in international and national journals including Econométrica, European Economic Review, Interfaces, Journal of Finance, Journal of Information Systems, Knowledge Process Management, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Strategic Management Journal, Harvard Deusto Business Review, Papeles de Economía, and Revista Española de Economía. In addition, he has produced a wide range of teaching material (cases and technical and research notes).
Prof. Ricart is a member of the scientific committee of the European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management (EIASM) and also serves on the Harvard Business School-IESE Committee.
- Carl Schröeder Chair Professor of Strategic Management, IESE Business School, University of Navarra
- Associate Director for Faculty and Research, IESE Business School, 2006-
- Chairman of the General Management Department, IESE Business School, 1993-
- Member of the HBS-IESE Committee, 2000-
- President, Strategic Management Society. 2008-
- Vice President, Iberoamerican Academy of Management. 2007-
- Editorial Board: European Management Review, Management Research and International Journal of Strategy Education
- ERC, Panel member; Senior Grants in Social Science
- EFMD, Member of the Research Committee
- European Group for Corporate Governance, (EGCG,) Founding member
- Member of the Executive Committee of Cetemmsa
- Associate Dean for Research and the Doctoral Program, IESE Business School, 2001-2006
- Founding President, European Academy of Management (EURAM). 2001- 2006
- Scientific Director of the EIASM, 2007- 2008
- Member of the EIASM Scientific Committee, 2004- 2007
- Member of the Board, Strategic Management Society. 2002-2006
- President-Elect, Strategic Management Society. 2006-2008
- Associated Editor in Chief: Journal of International Business Studies, 2005-2008
- Also, a former member in the boards of the following journals: Cuadernos Económicos del ICE, Spanish Economic Review (Revista Española de Economía), and Investigaciones Económicas
More info: http://blog.iese.edu/ricart/